Can I Claim Moving Expenses?

Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email

Can I Claim Moving Expenses?

My family and I are moving into our new home this week. Unfortunately, we will not be able to write off any moving expenses on our tax returns. Your job or school must be in a new location to claim these costs, and your new home must be 40 kilometers closer compared to your old home. For schooling, you must be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary program.

Here are some types of expenses that can be claimed are as follows:

  • Transportation (fuel, train, air)
  • Meals relating to the move
  • Hiring a moving company
  • Purchasing boxes to move your belongings
  • Land transfer tax on new home purchase in Ontario
  • Commissions paid to a realtor on old house sale
  • Connecting and disconnecting of utilities

These expenses can only be deducted from the income from your new job or any bursaries and scholarships from your school. If you have more moving expenses than income, you can carry forward the expenses to the next year and deduct against income from the new job or school. You should consult with an accountant or tax professional to ensure that you are not missing anything that you may be entitled to concerning moving expenses.

Want to know more?

Shawn Oldridge


More To Explore

The Importance of Transparency

As a business owner, it is important to be transparent to our customers and the community. This will enable us to build trusting relationships with

Self-serving is a no no!

It has been a while since I have written a blog, but something has come to my attention that has really gotten under my skin.

Do You Want To Know More?

Book a call!


We believe in free consultations as it gives all parties a chance to see if there is compatibility. As well, it allows us to gain an understanding of your business before providing recommendations.

Want to know more? Book a call with us today!